Northern kingfish

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Newport Interlude


Upon returning to Newport, my friend James invited me to a cocktail party on the boat he is First Mate on, the “Sloop Providence”, a replica of John Paul Jones warship from the Revolutionary War that captured some 40-odd British vessels.  After the party, I noticed some green underwater lights emanating from the end of the Aquidneck Lobster Company dock. They are newly installed and here I saw many  striped bass (#39) in the eerie lights. They were actively hunting sand lances (#40). I didn’t have my camera, however returned the following night and alas, this was the sole sand lance left.
 The striped bass naturally didn’t pose for me.
                                                                            Sloop Providence

Activity at the Third Beach aquarium is heating up. I met Norman Bird Sanctuary Education Director Kim Botelho at the compound and we have a of work to do before opening in a couple of weeks. We have had a setback because the recently donated fish stands have been deemed unsuitable a now we must hire a carpenter to build new ones. So the aquarium is on hold.
                  
  Afterwards,  I went exploring around “Crab Town” at the very northern end of the Beach. Here I found and photographs this inconspicuous beauty, one I have long wanted to see- a naked goby (#41).


"Crab Town" looking out to Sachuest Point and open ocea.  Note the Puddingstone Rock.
 Next and final adventure before my duties at the aquarium being in earnest is a long trip to Chattanooga, Tennesse to meet with other fish heads for a mini-regional gathering. Who knew, but Tennesse has the most diversity of fish species of any state in the county- over 300 species Tennessee almost has as many fish species as Rhode Island has bird species. 

No comments:

Post a Comment